Was ist der unterschied zwischen sorgen , kümmern , betreuen , pflegen??

Please provide a reason why a dictionary didn't help you or what's left unclear. – infinitezero Nov 27 '19 at 4:00
  • It is important to give some context in order to make sure you don't get the wrong answer (as I think is already the case) and get downvoted with few-to-no explanation (as is already the case). If that is what lead to your post, you could add that you looked for the translation of "to care" or "to care of" and you don't get the subtle difference between the four most relevant translations. – theSameTime Nov 27 '19 at 10:13

This depends on context mostly.

• Sich sorgen means to be full of sorrows, and für jemanden/etwas sorgen is what you do to address those sorrows.

• Kümmern is the same, but from the opposite direction. Bekümmern is what someone or something does what makes you sad. Kümmern is what you do to address that problem.

• Betreuen means being the custodian to someone (its stem is treu!), e.g. kids on an excursion or legally for persons with mental illnesses. It's often used for general caregiving however.

• Pflegen means keeping something neat and tidy. You can pflegen your garden, your car or a relationship. Or simply persons.

| improve this answer | |
    Ich nehme an, dass der OP nach dem reflexiven "sich kümmern (um)" fragt, nicht nach dem viel selteneren nicht-reflexiven "kümmern". – Uwe Nov 27 '19 at 8:53
    Even though the question is (at the time of this comment) rather ill-formulated, I think it's pretty clear from the context that the OP looked up "to care (of)" in the dictionary and got those four words displayed. In this context, your first translation is wrong. Think of it as in "Die Nachbarin sorgt für die Katze in meiner Abwesenheit“. It's really about "sorgen" and not "sich sorgen". – theSameTime Nov 27 '19 at 10:14
  • It's pretty clear from my explantion I use the reflexive variant mainly as a mnemonic. – Janka Nov 27 '19 at 11:42
  • So wie die Frage gestellt ist, sind alle syntaktischen Kombinationen angesprochen, für kümmern also sich um jn/etw kümmern, sich kümmern, etw kümmert jn (nicht), entsprechend für die anderen Verben. Für die Bedeutung gibt es jeweils bei dict.cc (u.a.) gute Übersetzungsvorschläge auf Englisch. Typische Objekte, Subjekte und andere Ergänzungen findet man hier: dwds.de/wp/k%C3%BCmmern , wobei aber leider nicht nach reflexivem und nicht reflexivem Gebrauch und auch nicht nach anderen Bedeutungen (die Pflanze kümmert vor sich hin) unterschieden wird. – Ralf Joerres Nov 27 '19 at 18:33

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.