I can’t really ultimately understand the using of ‘’zu’’. Is zu in this sentence means the relationships between friends and colleagues? If so, what i can’t really don’t understand while always taking dative how can it comes to a meaning of genitiv?

Die Stasi-Mitarbeiter verbreiteten Gerüchte, um Beziehungen zu Freunden und Kollegen zu belasten

Full context:

Die Stasi-Mitarbeiter verbreiteten Gerüchte, um Beziehungen zu Freunden und Kollegen zu belasten. Sie erzählten diesen etwa, dass der Betroffene alkoholabhängig, homosexuell oder rechtsextrem sei – oder, besonders perfide, dass er Kontakte zur Stasi pflege.

• of course Die Stasi-Mitarbeiter verbreiteten Gerüchte, um Beziehungen zu Freunden und Kollegen zu belasten. Sie erzählten diesen etwa, dass der Betroffene alkoholabhängig, homosexuell oder rechtsextrem sei – oder, besonders perfide, dass er Kontakte zur Stasi pflege. – bilgeayik Dec 2 at 23:05
  • "Beziehung zu jmd." == "relationship with s.o.". – Kilian Foth Dec 3 at 9:54

Let's assume the Stasi is observing Max. Max has some friends, Albert, Bertha und Caroline. The Stasi does not want to put strain on the relationship between his colleagues
zwischen seinen Kollegen

Albert <-> Bertha
Bertha <-> Caroline
Albert <-> Caroline.

Instead, they want to manipulate the relationship between him and his colleagues (zwischen ihm und seinen Kollegen). In other words, they want to manipulate his relationship to his friends and colleagues

zu seinen Freunden und Kollegen

M <-> (A,B,C)

So here, zu is translated as to, just like the English version.

This takes the same case (Dativ) as a maybe more familiar example:

Ich gehe zu ihm

Die Beziehung zu Kollegen

• I’d like to underscore that this is Dativ/dative, not Genitiv/genitive! – eurieka Dec 4 at 15:21

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.