The sentece is:

Aus der Asche ganz allein, steig ich auf zum Sonnenschein

I have doubts about the comma placement (or maybe a missing comma) and also about the capital letters. Any other observations are also welcome.

Thank you.

These are 2 lines from the song "Hilf mir" by Rammstein. There is no comma in the original lyrics. – mtwde Dec 6 '19 at 23:54
    Yes indeed. And yes, there is no comma in the lyrics, that the reason why I'm asking, is that correct? – AngelT Dec 7 '19 at 0:10
    Welcome to GSE. Proofreading requests are off-topic. Please take the tour. – Olafant Dec 7 '19 at 8:26

I don't know the song, and poetry or lyrics can sometimes - intentionally, for the sake of rhyming or keeping verse meter - break rules of language, but under normal circumstances there should be no comma. That position, however, is obviously between the two lines, so there is a pause; someone not familiar with German listening to the song might therefore get the false impression that there was a comma.
The capitalization is also correct: in German the first word of a sentence and every noun are written with a capital letter - Asche (ash) and Sonnenschein (sunshine) are the only nouns in this sentence. Different from English, ich (I) is not capitalized in German.

| improve this answer | |
  • Actually, I'm fairly certain that you could write "Aus der Asche, ganz allein, steig ich auf zum Sonnenschein", treating the "ganz allein" is an interjection to the rest of the sentence; but it would probably be clearer to use dashes - "Gedankenstriche" - instead of commas in that case. – Entropy0 Dec 7 '19 at 11:51

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.