What are the Satz-Elemente in this sentence and what rule decides the word order?

Bei gutem Wetter verlässt sie pünktlich um Viertel nach acht das Haus.

I had thought that "pünktlich" was a Modal-Angabe and therefore belonged after the Temporal-Angabe "um Viertel nach acht"

I don't know the which rules determine, I just can say that this example is fluent German. The option "Bei gutem Wetter verlässt sie um Viertel nach acht pünktlich das Haus" sounds right as well, just not common enough. Maybe it depends more on which sentence part the stressing is. And btw: i never heard of TeKaMoLo before, so maybe you can add this for context (like chatterbug.com/grammar/german/the-tekamolo-rule ) – Shegit Brahm Dec 20 '19 at 7:32
    After searching on german.SE for Tekamolo I found this Q/A, maybe it helps you: german.stackexchange.com/questions/6266/… (it just supports my idea that tekamolo is far from an always right rule) – Shegit Brahm Dec 20 '19 at 7:56
  • Since your question is in English with some German sprinkled in, I did not want to mess with it too much, but in German it is "Satzelement", "Modalangabe", "Temporalangabe". No hyphens. Compare "Donaudampfschiffahrtsgesellschaftskapitän". – Carsten S Dec 20 '19 at 14:06
  • My text book TELC "Grammatiktraining Deutsch für B2" uses the terms Temporal-Angabe etc. which is why I used them in my question. – Steve Dec 20 '19 at 14:19
  • Hmm, interesting. – Carsten S Dec 20 '19 at 14:49

Here pünktlich um Viertel nach acht is temporal. It means not at 8:18, but exactly 8:15. On the other hand tekamolo is not a strict rule. The sentence is correct (up to an umlaut).

| improve this answer | |

Prepositional phrases, such as um acht, can have premodifiers.

Kurz vor acht klingelte das Telefon.

Genau um Mitternacht wurde ihr Sohn geboren.

Erst am Abend leert sich der Platz.

Schon nach wenigen Minuten ist er außer Atem.

These phrases are units, i.e. single Satz-Elemente, as is shown by the fact that they can appear in first position.

As pünktlich um Viertel nach acht is a unit, tekamolo has not been violated.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.