when it comes to verbs with prepositions I get confused. for example hoffen comes with auf. which combinations are correct?

1- ich hoffe ein gutes Jahr.

2- ich hoffe auf ein gutes Jahr.

3- ich hoffe , (dass+/-) Sie ein gutes Jahr haben.

4- ich hoffe es, (dass+/-) Sie ein gutes Jahr haben.

5- ich hoffe auf es, (dass+/-) Sie ein gutes Jahr haben.

6- ich hoffe darauf, (dass+/-) Sie ein gutes Jahr haben.

which constructions are correct and why? should that dass be there always?

Edit1: numbers are corrected

Edit2: Why ich hoffe auf es is wrong? es is akkusativ and is comming after auf, es can be correlated here?

• colloquialism: "Guten Rutsch!" or "Guten Rutsch ins Neue Jahr" – Cacambo Dec 27 '19 at 20:32
  • "Auf es" does not work the same way as "Ich hoffe darauf" cannot be translated with "I hope on it" but you say "I hope so". The only thing which is quite similar and works is "I hope for him/her/it that ..." which translates to "I hoffe für ihn/sie/es, dass ...". – äüö Jan 25 at 23:11

There are various forms of hoffen:

hoffen + object

There are not many nouns you can hope. Most often you describe the object in a full sentence or a clause with dass. If the subject of this clause is the same as in the main sentence, you may as well use an infinitive clause with zu. Examples:

Ich hoffe das Beste.

Ich hoffe, Sie hatten ein gutes Jahr.

Ich hoffe, dass Sie ein gutes Jahr hatten.

Ich hoffe, bald befördert zu werden.

A correlate es is only used as a stand-alone reference to the last sentence:

Wird 2020 ein gutes Jahr? Ich hoffe es. / Das hoffe ich.

Wird Xyz wieder gewählt? Ich hoffe nicht. / Das hoffe ich nicht.

hoffen + auf + nominal phrase (acc.)

This is the most common form:

Ich hoffe auf ein gutes Jahr.

Ich hoffe auf eine Beförderung.

You may replace the nominal phrase by a dass-clause or an infinitive clause with zu. In general, this would require a correlate es in the main sentence, but es cannot be used with any preposition: auf es is as wrong as ohne es, neben es etc. You must use darauf instead:

Ich hoffe darauf, dass Sie ein gutes Jahr haben werden.

Ich hoffe darauf, bald befördert zu werden.

1- ich hoffe ein gutes Jahr.

Wrong.

2- ich hoffe auf ein gutes Jahr.

OK

3- ich hoffe , (dass+/-) Sie ein gutes Jahr haben.

dass mandatory

4- ich hoffe es, (dass+/-) Sie ein gutes Jahr haben.

Wrong (es), dass mandatory

5- ich hoffe auf es, (dass+/-) Sie ein gutes Jahr haben.

Wrong (auf es), dass mandatory

What do you actually expect es / auf es should emphasize in that sentence?

6- ich hoffe darauf, (dass+/-) Sie ein gutes Jahr haben.

dass mandatory

• Thanks for your response, why hoffe es AND hoffe auf es are wrong ? – orodeous Dec 25 '19 at 22:11
  • @orodeous Because that's not correct German language. – πάντα ῥεῖ Dec 25 '19 at 22:13
  • but why? I mean based on which grammatical rule? – orodeous Dec 25 '19 at 22:27
  • @orodeous Let's turn that over, and let you explain what grammatical rule you think that makes that it's correct. You can edit your question please? – πάντα ῥεῖ Dec 25 '19 at 22:42
  • In example #3 you could also rearrange the words of the second clause: Ich hoffe, Sie haben ein gutes Jahr - in this case there is no dass. This would be absolutely idiomatic in spoken language, but not so good style in written language – Volker Landgraf Dec 26 '19 at 0:38

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.