I often hear "Guet Nacht!" in the evening, whereas I would expect "Gueti Nacht!" as Nacht is feminine. How so?

I may add that "Gut Nacht" (instead of "Gute Nacht") is also the usual form to wish a good night in Southern Germany. - My explanation would be that, as the term is used so frequently, the suffix "-e" is being ommitted for lazyness (or call it efficiency). Note that you find this also in proverbs: Gut Ding will Weile haben (instead of "gutes") all over the German speaking part of the world. – Christian Geiselmann Dec 30 '19 at 8:58

Endingless adjective attributes are an archaism. They are preserved in idioms, names, or composites:

• auf gut Glück (instead of: auf gutes Glück)
  • unser täglich Brot (instead of: unser tägliches Brot)
  • Gutmensch (instead of: guter Mensch)
  • Grossstadt (instead of: grosse Stadt)
  • gut Nacht (more commonly: gute Nacht)

This is exactly the same in Swiss German, even though some Swiss German adjective endigs differ from their standard German counterparts:

• uf guet Glück (instead of: uf guets Glück)
  • Guetmönsch (instead of: guete Mönsch)
  • guet Nacht (instead of: gueti Nacht)

Note also that some Alemannic dialects (virtually all Swiss German dialects are Alemannic) may have grammaticalized some endingless forms in the paradigm of adjective declension:

• guet Brot (Basel) vs. guets Brot (Berne)/gutes Brot (standard German)
  • der schön Turm (Berne/Zurich) vs. der schöni Turm (Zurich, variant)/der schena Turm (Mulhouse)/der schöne Turm (standard German)
  • d frisch Milch (Strasbourg) vs. di früschi Milch (Berne)/die frische Milch (standard German)

I do not know of any Alemannic dialect, though, that would have grammaticalized an endingless form for the strong adjective declension of the feminine singular. With other words, I do not know of any Alemannic dialect where cases like liebi Sarah (standard German: liebe Sarah) or gueti Nacht would default to be endingless. Of course, my knowledge is far from complete.

That's very helpful, thank you for taking the time to answer! – nbedou Dec 30 '19 at 16:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.