I have the following sentence which I think has a redundant word:

Von der Plattform aus hat man eine gute Aussicht über Frankfurt.

Should aus be omitted or not?

Yes. No. Depends.

Yes, omitting the "aus" creates a sentence that sounds well:

Von der Plattform hat man eine gute Aussicht über Frankfurt.

No, it includes the reference.

Like the explanation on Duden or Wiktionary:

1. ... (von der aus man einen guten Ausblick hat)...
    1. Basis, Standpunkt, von dem bei Überlegungen, Absichten, Handlungen, politischen Zielsetzungen o. Ä. ausgegangen wird
  • Beispiele [ 1]: Wenn man mit dem Aufzug hoch fährt, kann man von der Plattform aus über die ganze Stadt sehen.

So for correct grammar it is needed (to have the reference). It seems natural in spoken language to omit it that it feels not wrong omitting it in written language as well.

[Update: ] For further reading there is "redundancy (linguistics)"(en.wikipedia) to counter-check the feeling of a seemingly superfluous part. There you find easy things like free gift and further terms like tautology & pleonasm which build upon "redundant phrases".

[/Update thx to Cacambo]

So I say how you use it depends on your personal style.

(Aussicht) über die Stadt hin; über die Brücke rüber, durch das Tor hindurch: you will find many expressions, where a word seems superfluous, but nonetheless is commonly used. – mic Jan 21 at 14:58
  • @mic: do you know a word other then "seemingly superfluous" i could look for to integrate it into my answer? (or you post your own). Thanks. – Shegit Brahm Jan 22 at 6:48
  • seemingly redundant? – mic Jan 22 at 9:34
    de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redundanz_(Kommunikationstheorie) Hier findest du vielleicht ein passendes Wort. Pleonasmus, Tautologie, … – Cacambo Jan 25 at 9:17
  • @mic über die Stadt _hin_ seems strange to me (maybe because of social or regional reasons). Does it mean the same as über die Stadt _hinweg_ or bis _jenseits_ der/_hinter_ die Stadt? – Cacambo Jan 25 at 9:20

You can use the aus or leave it out. The difference in your example would chiefly be the rhythm of the sentence, and so, depending on context, you one time may prefer to add the aus, another time you may prefer to go without it.

Another factor to consider might be register of speech. With the "double-up preposition" added you usually get more into casual oral style, whereas without the preposition the sentence tends to sound more formal.

Other example:

Tausende von Autofahrern fahren in die Innenstadt.

(Normal / formal)

Tausende von Autofahrern fahren in die Innenstadt rein.

(Clearly sloppily oral; but also more expressive)

• formal version of the latter: Tausende von Autofahrern fahren in die Innenstadt hinein. Or, if the speaker is inside the city center: Tausende von Autofahrern fahren (probably "kommen" would fit better) in die Innenstadt herein. – Cacambo Jan 25 at 9:12

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.