Why is it "die Hausschuhe stehen and not liegen unter dem Bett"?

If shoes are placed in the same way they would be worn, i.e. on the sole, they are considerd standing (at least in German). If you say die Schuhe liegen, one would assume that they are lying on the side, upside down or in an unordered heap.

I would have used liegen for every other position, especially as an untidy heap, or if kicked under the bed from the other side of the room. – guidot Jan 28 '20 at 20:53
  • @guidot You are right, I modified my answer – Volker Landgraf Jan 29 '20 at 14:20
  • Yes, in my feeling of the language "stehen" is the result of "stellen", i.e. intentionally placing them, while "liegen" is the result of just dicovering they are there (if you kick them to the side, they would "liegen", not "stehen" (dispite of the fact that boots actually would no longer stand then). – U. Windl Feb 7 '20 at 22:45

boots are taller than wide. This was perceived as standing up rather than lying down. It must have become grammaticalized and generalized.

Part of it is that we stand in and on shoes, as @VolkerLandgraf implied. Standing, and walking by extension, is the inherent purpose of feet equipment.

This applies to most set-ups that have a preffered standard orientation, like cups, except if notably two dimensional or amorph, and not to objects that tend to be moved or rather move on their own, like ships or dice. (Hence the joke about the running fridge, because it can run and stand at the same time).

In principle there's nothing wrong about liegen in this context, anyhow. In most cases a simple sein does the job as well.

It depends on the shape of the specific "Hausschuhe". If you are talking about "Pantoffeln" ('slippers'), which are flat, one would rather use "liegen"...

No, if they are on the sole, it's always 'stehen'. All objects that have a definded bottom made for being in contact with the place they are posed on, 'stehen'. So, plates 'stand', because they have a circular 'foot' on the underside. But you can also arrange them vertically like in a dishwasher, then, in German, you call this also '(senkrecht) stellen / stehen': Die Teller stehen hochkant im Tellerregal. Hausschuhe 'liegen' entweder auf der Seite oder mit der Sohle nach oben, vielleicht auch übereinander. Das ist assoziiert mit 'unaufgeräumt, unordentlich'. – Ralf Joerres Jan 28 '20 at 15:42
    @RalfJoerres. Thanks for your replay with which I partially disagree. Before embarking on what I hope could be a constructive discussion, I'd like to know from what perspective you are arguing. If it is a normative one along the lines of"right/wrong", no need for further discussion. If it's a descriptive one (what people say and what current language looks like), I'll be very happy to develop our exchange. – Nico Jan 28 '20 at 20:58
    A short hint for reflection: "Wo stehen meine Flippflopps"??? – Nico Jan 28 '20 at 21:44
    @Nico: Im Ernst, Pantoffeln liegen im Regal, schön ordentlich hingelegt? Ich hab kurz gekuckt, die Fälle bei Google sind alle ein bisschen anders. Aber kann schon sein, dass sich da ein Sprachgebrauch eingestellt hat, den ich nicht mitbekommen habe, nur: Bei Pantoffeln/Sandalen/Flipflops finde ich das nicht so wichtig. Gibt's da ähnliche Fälle, steckt da ein System dahinter? Bei dem Foto mit dem verkorksten Text war mein erster Gedanke: Ja, das Zeug hat jemand da hingeworfen und das liegt jetzt eben da rum, die Badelatschen zufällig auf der Sohle. – Ralf Joerres Jan 29 '20 at 17:53
    Andersrum würde man sagen: Ich habe die Schuhe in den Koffer gelegt (bzw. sowieso 'gepackt') auch wenn sie da vielleicht erst mal auf der Sohle stehen. Ich hab die Mokassins auf die schwarzen Lederschuhe gelegt - mag gehen, vielleicht auch weil sie sehr leicht sind, das scheint neben allem anderen auch eine Rolle zu spielen. Kommt mir aber ein bisschen zu speziell vor. Unterschiedliche Raumkonzepte in den Sprachen sind allerdings ziemlich wichtig. – Ralf Joerres Jan 29 '20 at 17:59

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.