What would be the difference between Urteilen and Beurteilen?

The translations both seem to be similar and I am aware that the be-prefix adds a sense of the verb inflicted on something.

However I would like to know how they are commonly used and in what context?

New contributor
Romi is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering. Check out our Code of Conduct.
    Hello and welcome to GermanSE! What dictionaries did you check? urteilen and beurteilen only have to judge as a common translation. Can you specify an example sentence where you are unsure about the translation? – infinitezero Feb 14 at 1:07

urteilen ... is almost exclusively used in the meaning of sentence/decide/rule in connection with court/judge decisions. The object is either of rather general nature, e.g. : Das Gericht urteilte im Fall Müller gegen Meier. or the actual decision is introduced as: Das Gericht urteilte, dass...

In order to express the actual sentence often verurteilen ist used: Das Gericht verurteilte den Angeklagten zu zwei Jahren Gefängnis.

beurteilen ...has the meaning of assess, evaluate, e.g of a situation, a study, an experiment.

• I agree. What is interesting, though, is that the noun "Urteil", which is the source of both, can also be used in the sense of a personal evaluation: "nach meinem Urteil". – Nico Feb 14 at 20:49
  • this is great..! Thank you so much..! Really appreciate this. :) – Romi Feb 15 at 19:32

Your Answer

Romi is a new contributor. Be nice, and check out our Code of Conduct.

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.