I was reading this article on FAZ, and came across this strange fragment:

Wogegen sich Röttgen heftig wert: Die Werteunion sei nicht hilfreich.

Surely there is a typo there somewhere?

Yes, there is an h missing. It should be "wehrt" (see dictionary "[sich] wehren"). – Roland Feb 18 at 7:57
    I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because the question is based on a spelling mistake – Iris Feb 18 at 9:26
    Maybe not a bad idea to call these self-appointed defenders of christian-occidental values Wehrteunion ;) – Olafant Feb 18 at 10:15
    @Iris could also be an intentional word-play. I'm voting to leave open. – Volker Landgraf Feb 18 at 10:33
    @VolkerLandgraf: Als einer dieser Leser gehobenen Bildungsniveaus erwarte ich dann aber auch eine Pointe, nicht ein albernes, banales "ich schreibs mal ohne h, weil es geht ja gerade um Werte". Aber der Streit wert mir jetzt doch zu lange, das ist er gar nicht wert. – user unknown Feb 18 at 23:18

The correct spelling would be Wogegen sich Röttgen heftig wehrt:
Sich wehren means to defend oneself or to resist against something
This could either be a spelling mistake (a missing "h") as some commentors have already suggested (and is the more likely explanation), but given the fact that the discussion that article is about deals with "Wert(e)" (="value(s)"), it could also be an intentional word-play.

| improve this answer | |
    I disagree with the word-play assumption. At least some in-word parentheses would be required to appear intentional. I consider as more likely: A problem with speech recognition not detected by subsequent spelling-checker. – guidot Feb 18 at 11:34
  • @guidot Es soll auch Schreiber geben, die nicht immer gleich mit dem ganzen Lattenzaun winken, wenn sie ein Wortspiel machen. – Volker Landgraf Feb 18 at 22:27

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.