I have come across this strange use of "ob" where "ob der Tatsache dass" appears to mean "because of the fact that".

Source.

Jens Spahn schließlich wurde von Bunte mal einschmeichelnd „der prominente CDU-Gesundheitsminister“ genannt, was ob der Tatsache, dass Spahn tatsächlich prominenter ist als andere im Kabinett (oder, Frau Karliczek?) okay ist.

None of the standard dictionaries mention this use. I have checked Collins, Oxford and even Duden.

• Compare Greek apo "off" latin.stackexchange.com/questions/13132/… not exactly the same, off course. There was something about again, against that meant roughly "towards", if not "for", that I can't quite remember. *jabai (whence conj. ob, En if) reminds a bit of bei, too, by the way. – vectory Feb 26 at 18:35
    What's the question? Your text only suggests it. – c.p. Feb 27 at 20:25
  • Is there a way of voting down stupid comments? – PBH Feb 29 at 9:54

You probably search for "ob" in its role as conjunction, but here it's a preposition. https://www.duden.de/rechtschreibung/ob_Praeposition shows some example uses of "ob" + genitive. As Duden says, today it's no longer common to use it that way.

| improve this answer | |
    Und ob es das ist! naja, beinahe. – vectory Feb 26 at 18:29
  • To say that ob is a conjunction and ob+genitive is the use, is not to answer the question. The meaning remains unknown. Please do not write only-link answers, could you extract the information of the source? – c.p. Feb 27 at 7:02
  • @c.p. I don't see a question. – David Vogt Feb 27 at 8:40
    @c.p. The question that I answered is: Why didn't I find something, e.g. in Duden. And gave a link to where I found something in Duden. OP answered the question about the meaning of the phrase himself already. – mic Feb 27 at 10:10

wiktionary:

1. (formal, literary, + dative or genitive) on account of

To give you synonymous expressions: angesichts; in Anbetracht

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.