I am trying to write a letter to my close friend, who is German. Basically, whenever the sentence in English is ended up with words: "Kisses ad Hugs" it makes the intentions of the writer pretty obvious.

I am trying to build some similar sentence using German

Does "Küsse und Umarmungen.", as the ending sentence in a letter is grammatically correct?

Like:

XXX
XXXXX
XXXXXX
Küsse und Umarmungen

I have a feeling that something is missing

• I’d note that generally in English I’d expect to write it “Hugs and kisses” rather than “Kisses and hugs”. – Tim Mar 8 at 21:01
    Gruß und Kuss – Bernhard Döbler Mar 8 at 23:33
    @BernhardDöbler This should be an answer. – Arsak Mar 9 at 1:18

Does "Küsse und Umarmungen.", as the ending sentence in a letter is grammatically correct?

Yes it is grammatically correct. But the more common expression would be

Küsse und drück Dich

or

Küsse und umarme Dich

| improve this answer | |

I've never really read that in German. Most idiomatic to me feels

Fühl dich gedrückt! (Feel hugged)

Nicht eher "Fühl dich gedrückt und geküsst!"? – πάντα ῥεῖ Mar 8 at 11:46
    "I presume it's more a girly thing?" Hey it's world womens day today! Take care what you say. What makes you sure that OP's question was about conversations between men? It'ts quite common to see such phrase for a conversation between lovers (no matter if they're hetero or queer). – πάντα ῥεῖ Mar 8 at 12:46
    πάνταῥεῖ is right I was creating a letter to my love (girl), it's a men-woman relation – D Komo Mar 8 at 13:08
    I never assumed anything. You assume I did. I just say I never witnessed this among men so I presume it's a female thing. That doesn't imply that men don't, can't or shouldn't do it. It's just my own observation, which I clearly stated as such. – infinitezero Mar 8 at 13:12
    I see. That's also good to remember. Thank you for your help – D Komo Mar 8 at 13:21

The most idiomatic word that comes to my mind to express this would use the word knuddeln (to cuddle or to hug). So you could write

Ich knuddle Dich
Fühl Dich geknuddelt
*knuddel*

The last version uses chat slang to express the so-called Inflektiv which is the German equivalent of the English inifinitve without "to".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.