Viele in Deutschland schienen zu glauben, die Forderung ruhig zu bleiben und Einschränkungen des eigenen Lebens auf ein Minimum zu vermeiden, gehörten zu einer offenen Gesellschaft.

I do not understand the bolded parts sentence structure

For me "die Forderung" seems not to be a object of verb "bleiben" reaming possibility is to be a subject though I do not encounter "subject + zu" structure

@ughitudhi I t means "the claim for keeping calm" Mar 15 '20 at 20:13
    Why a downvote? No reason for doing so.
    – Nico
    Mar 15 '20 at 20:17
    @πάνταῥεῖ it's not a claim but a demand. Mar 15 '20 at 21:27
    I upvoted, and the answer. There is, though, a little logic problem in the phrase: "die Einschränkung ... auf ein Minimum ... zu vermeiden" makes no sense, "beschränken" oder "befolgen" instead of vermeiden would be a better choice, depending on intention. Just sayin' ...
    – user41853
    Mar 15 '20 at 22:16
    It would be helpful to be more specific, i.e. explaining which words of the phrase you understand and what your attempt to understand the whole phrase leads to; where it doesn't fit. Mar 16 '20 at 0:01

When a German verb that takes complements is nominalized like this, then the resulting noun takes the same complements. Hence,

die Forderung[,] ruhig zu bleiben

=

the demand to keep calm.

(This mostly works for verbal complements only. An accusative object would not transfer to the noun form.)

Other examples include "Die Wahrscheinlichkeit zu stürzen" or "Die Warnung nicht aufs Eis zu gehen". (probability to fall / warning not to go on the ice) Mar 15 '20 at 21:01

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.