Can you suggest any blogs, email subscriptions, twitter feeds etc. of German words, phrases, or quotes of the day?

I'm looking for something that will present me daily with a single random word/phrase/quote. It could be an email or a twitter feed (or some similar asynchronous presentation). For example, in English there's a site called A Word A Day. You can visit to get a word, or you can subscribe to get an email of that word. I'm looking for something similar but for German.

If you can please give links and your assessment of the words/phrases.

Any and all kinds are welcome. Famous quotes from authors, vocabulary for school children, slang expressions, whatever.

Any medium is OK. Twitter feed, email, whatever (even paper mail, but online is best).

(any suggestions on refining this question to make it reopenable are welcome)

aphorismen.de or de.wikiquote.org/wiki/Hauptseite - and I assume your question will be closed. Because it is very broad and I don't see where you struggle in German grammar/ typo/ understanding beside ... using a search engine with "Zitat des Tages" or similiar. – Shegit Brahm Mar 17 at 16:26
  • @ShegitBrahm I surely have attempted all variations of 'wort des tages' or other, but since my German is not very good, I don't know if I'm using the right keywords. But both those sites look great for quotes - do they have a way to subscribe to get daily emails? (or you could add an answer!) – Mitch Mar 17 at 16:54
    so then please try to include some of your research. Just to narrow down a bit where you struggled. I know that it is de facto impossible to look for an unknown word. I actually did only suggest the search term, not trying it out. – Shegit Brahm Mar 17 at 17:52
    Can anyone give advice on how (or whether) to make this reopenable? @ShegitBrahm xish, closers? – Mitch Mar 19 at 13:33
    I'm not sure, but I think specifying more precisely what you're trying to gain from these resources that couldn't be gained from standard resources (dictionary, grammar reference, etc.), because as the question is, it's unclear how anyone could give a meaningful answer that differs from a Google search. – xish Mar 19 at 14:04

You might want to check the online version of Duden (a dictionary of the German language). They have a "Word of the Day" section: https://www.duden.de/wort-des-tages

| improve this answer | |
    If you find it useful, you could enhance your answer that Duden-Verlag says on this page, that the Word of the day is available via Twitter - as the OP likes. Even if that functionality depends on site owner, it is favored to include the relevant website content into an answer. (and maybe also Amazon Skill) – Shegit Brahm Mar 23 at 14:15

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.