Under the chapter of “The Infinitive and the participles”, my grammar book[1] makes the following comments:

Page 259: sein ‘be’, as a semi-auxiliary, is the equivalent of können (or sometimes müssen or sollen). The following infinitive has passive force

a. Ist der Direktor heute zu sprechen?

b. Die Fahrausweise sind auf Verlangen vorzuzeigen

Page 272: Present participles can be used adjectivally with an accompanying zu. This is an adjectival form of the construction with sein and an infinitive with zu expressing possibility or necessity. As in that construction the participle has passive force.

a. ein nicht zu übersehender Fehler

b. ihre anzuerkennende Leistung

To understand the equivalence of these constructs, I have constructed two of the examples in modal, infinitive and participle forms.

Example 1:

Modal form: Kann der Direktor heute sprechen?

sein + zu + infinitive: Ist der Direktor heute zu sprechen? (as above)

das erste Partizip with zu: der zu sprechende Direktor

Example 2:

Modal form: ein Fehler, den man nicht übersehen kann

sein + zu + infinitive: Der Fehler ist nicht zu übersehen

das erste Partizip with zu: ein nicht zu übersehender Fehler (as above)

Have I grasped the concept correctly?

Source: “Hammer’s German Grammar and Usage – 3rd Edition”, Martin Durrell, 1996, Arnold.

The forms in example 1 do not mean the same thing: kann der Direktor heute sprechen means "can he speak today", not "can he be spoken to today". That would be kann er heute gesprochen werden, or more conversationally, kann man heute mit ihm sprechen. – phipsgabler Mar 23 '20 at 8:53

Example 1:

der zu sprechende Direktor

technically correct, but it sounds a bit odd. Germans wouldn't phrase it that way. (Not paticularly sure why)

Example 2:

Der Fehler ist nicht zu übersehen

That's completely correct

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.