Which one is correct?

I would like to become _____.

• Ich würde gern ________ werden.
  • Ich würde gern ________ .

I was curious whether the sentences are grammatically correct, and if so, whether they are used in everyday German.

• Hello! Please provide us with what you think is the right answer and why. Otherwise your question will likely be closed. Please be as precise as possible so we can help you more. Mar 25 '20 at 10:48
  • The question is clearly put. I don't see why language learners should always provide guesses and do not understand the close votes at all.
    – David Vogt
    Mar 25 '20 at 10:52
    It's a question about grammar, not meaning. If you are unable to recognise this, the fault might not be on the side of the person asking the question.
    – David Vogt
    Mar 25 '20 at 10:59
    As it is worded, is it a question about the correct translation, not about grammar.
    – RHa
    Mar 25 '20 at 11:09
    @Rha Silly me. I thought it was about the use of the subjunctive.
    – David Vogt
    Mar 25 '20 at 11:20

Actually both are correct, since würde can indicate the conjunctive (corresponding to first proposal) as well as mean become (2nd proposal).

The first variant nevertheless looks unattractive due to two derivations of werden.

So my first choice for translation is not listed:

Ich möchte ___ werden.

But in real life nobody would say »Ich würde gern Lokführer.« (sounds like a pre-1900 novel that you had to read in high school ;-). Mar 25 '20 at 12:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.