I found this sentence here:

Unbegabter zum Zynismus kann man kaum sein, menschenfreundlicher wohl auch nicht: Zum achtzigsten Geburtstag des Schriftstellers Uwe Timm versammelt ein Band Essays, einer Würdigungen und einer Texte zum Werk.

The question is about the second fragment. I can guess the meaning: a volume of essays, some appreciation, and texts of his work are being collected on his 80th birthday. What I don't get is the 'einer' before 'Würdigungen' and 'Texte'.

• First of all, why dative here but not before 'Band'.
  • Why dative at all? Does 'versammeln' require dative?
  • Why 'einer' before plurals like 'Würdigungen' and 'Texte'?

The construction doesn't make any sense to me.

Einer is not dative. It is nominative and stands for ein Band.

The sentence could alternatively be written as

Zum achtzigsten Geburtstag des Schriftstellers Uwe Timm versammelt ein Band Essays, ein Band Würdigungen und ein Band Texte zum Werk.

An example sentence to illustrate this usage of einer:

Ich habe zwei Bälle. Einer ist weiß und der andere schwarz.

• Thanks. How would you translate the 'zum Werk' bit? – PBH Mar 30 '20 at 8:19
  • @ToGa, here, Werk refers to his opus or literary oeuvre. – Björn Friedrich Mar 30 '20 at 8:26
    @ToGa Texte zum Werk means secondary literature. – guidot Mar 30 '20 at 15:37

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.