I have notice there are some usage of "im vergangen Jahr", a list of examples can be found here. But I think grammatically it should be "im vergangenen Jahr" (which is also written often). My question is that, is that a general mistake or a purposeful simplification of the adjective ending, when the end is -en.

One of the examples is the following sentence from a document of European Parliament:

Leider ist im vergangen Jahr die Zahl der Menschen, denen wir helfen konnten in ihre Heimat zurückzukehren, stark zurückgegangen, insbesondere aufgrund der Situation in Afghanistan im Südsudan und in der Demokratischen Republik Kongo.

Judging from the links, this appears to be Swiss dialect, although this is just a guess. At least in standard German this feels wrong and you are correct, it should be im vergangenen Jahr. – infinitezero Mar 31 at 9:57
    Welcome to German.SE. Please include (copy'paste) relevant quotes from the linked source. That makes it easier. – Shegit Brahm Mar 31 at 10:14
    Looking at the widespread sources I'm afraid, that this is a consequence of simple spelling checkers which do not consider grammar: No highlight, no correction. – guidot Mar 31 at 10:29
    Isn't there also a comma missing after konnten, or am I just too old for this? – Hagen von Eitzen Mar 31 at 20:50

Wrong: "Im vergangen Jahr"
Correct: "Im vergangenen Jahr"

Also:

die gefahrenen Kilometer
die getragenen Socken
die gebratenen Schweine
die empfangenen Geschenke
die gelesenen Bücher
die vergessenen Schulfreunde
die erschrockenen Kinder
die gebogenen Stäbe
die verlorenen Seelen
die begonnenen Aufsätze
die verziehenen Sünden
die übertriebenen Bewegungen etc.

I didn't find any exception. You always have to add -en.

Btw: Almost all words that behave like adjectives and end with -en are not genuine adjectives but participles. Your word vergangen is a good example, verdorben is another:

• verb:
    • Das Jahr vergeht. Der Käse verdirbt. (Präsens)
    • Das Jahr wird vergehen. Der Käse wird verderben. (Futur I)
    • Das Jahr ist vergangen. Der Käse ist verdorben. (Perfekt)
  • participle used like an adjective:
    • Das vergangene Jahr war schön. Der verdorbene Käse stinkt. (attribute usage)
    • Das Jahr ist vergangen. Der Käse ist verdorben. (predicative usage)
    • (--) Der Käse riecht verdorben. (adverbial usage)

(I didn't find an example für adverbial usage of vergangen.)

But there are also genuine Adjectives that end with -en:

• cremefarben (ockerfarben, ...)

die cremefarbenen Hemden

• trocken

die trockenen Tücher

As you see, they also behave in the same way.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.