I can say

Ich möchte mein Zimmer reinigen

but I can also say

Ich möchte mein Zimmer bereinigen

What is the difference?

Have you consulted a dictionary already for the difference between "reinigen" und "bereinigen" ? – a_donda Apr 7 '20 at 18:29

bereinigen

Sort out something that's upset you, sort out ("Settle an argument")

reinigen

Remove dirt, stains or similar from something (clean something, clean up)

Explain:

But you can't say "... mein Zimmer bereinigen" (as far as I know). You can clean (reinigen) your room, or clean up (aufräumen) the room.

In German duden "bereinigen" is defined as follows:

• einen Streitfall bereinigen (schlichten)
  • eine bereinigte (korrigierte) Ausgabe eines Buches
  • die Rechnung haben wir um Sondereffekte bereinigt (wir haben die Sondereffekte herausgerechnet)

So "bereinigen" has nothing to do with cleaning or similar.

• Please consider a link to Duden's entry to give room for further reading. Including Duden's content was the more important part of the reference. – Shegit Brahm Apr 8 '20 at 6:09
  • I insist that you cannot say "mein Zimmer bereinigen" - well, in Germany you can, doing exactly the definition you brought. Using it I could bereinige mein Zimmer um das Spielzeug. I see no problem in it. It is more figurativly, though. – Shegit Brahm Apr 8 '20 at 6:11
    @ShegitBrahm "Mein Zimmer von Spielzeug bereinigen." – akuzminykh Apr 8 '20 at 6:15
    Just one comment: ein Zimmer bereinigen is a sort of clumsy German sometimes talked by 'Ausländer', whether completed by any (prepositional) object or not. I am German and by no means I can imagine a functional context for the expression. (I didn't try hard drugs, though). Any discussion about it is like a discussion about the appropriateness of the genus of a given German noun. So I don't know what you are talking about here. For me, it's just wrong. Would you say analogously 'den Tisch vom Geschirr bereinigt?' The difference is: 'reinigen' is concrete, 'bereinigen' ist abstract. So, ... – Ralf Joerres Apr 8 '20 at 12:02
    ... how do you want to 'bereinigen' a room in an abstract way? – Ralf Joerres Apr 8 '20 at 12:03

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.