Q) Wir kaufen ein Geschenk für _____ Tante.

1. unserer
  2. unsere
  3. unseren

I came across this question on an app that I am using to practice German. I thought Option 1 is correct because Tante is an indirect object and thus should be in the dative case. However, the app says the correct answer is Option 2. Can somebody please explain it to me?

Does this answer your question? Where should a direct and indirect object be placed in a Nebensatz? – guidot Apr 9 at 12:38
    Comments deleted; please be nice. Also note that it doesn’t even matter whether this is homework or not. The asker is not simply asking for us to do their homework – after all they already know the answer. Instead they are elaborating their thoughts and want to know where they went wrong. This is how questions should be. – Wrzlprmft Apr 9 at 20:30

The preposition für requires the Akkusativ. See here:

enter image description here

Source

Thus the correct answer is indeed für unsere Tante.

| improve this answer | |
    Thank you for your patience and explaining to me the answer. The app did give the correct answer, I just needed an explanation(why). I am a beginner and i do get confused even with the basics but it is important to understand the exceptions as well. Thanks all :) – Nagma begum Apr 9 at 13:05
    No worries. Your questions are very welcome here - please feel free to ask more! I definitely recommend using a grammar book in addition to the app, as most apps will not cover grammar exhaustively. – infinitezero Apr 9 at 13:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.