I observed that most masculine and neuter pronouns/pronominal determiners in genitive in singular form are declined by adding either s or es at the end of the word. However there are some that don't follow the trend. I managed to identify four determiners that are declined differently:

dessen

desselbigen

desselben

desjenigen

(Genitive masc. Singular)

My question is, do I need to add the terminations specific to masculine/neuter nouns in genitive singular to the nouns that follow these pronominal determiners?

For example:

desselben Mannes

In fact derselb(ig)e and derjenige do follow the standard in some way, if you consider them as pronoun + adjective: desselben Mannes ~ des selben Mannes ~ des großen Mannes, derselbe Mann ~ der selbe Mann ~ der große Mann. Apr 10, 2020 at 7:04
  • In fact these can be seen as a contraction of an article and a pronoun, and because of the article we simply have weak inflection. So there is actually nothing special here.
    – RHa
    Apr 29, 2020 at 18:39

1 Answer 1

Yes, but not for dessen.

Das ist das Auto des Lehrers.
Und dieses ist das Auto desselben Lehrers.
Auch das ist das Auto desselbigen Lehrers.
Das ist das Auto desjenigen Mannes, der nur sonntags fährt.

Dessen is not followed by the genitive. It's a possessive relative pronoun. Here Kofferraum is nominative.

Das ist das Auto, dessen Kofferraum nicht richtig schließt.

I assume it should read "dessen is not followed by the genitive"?
    – David Vogt
    Apr 10, 2020 at 7:56
  • Thanks, corrected it. Apr 10, 2020 at 8:00
  • I know this thread is old but I am not entirley sure about "dessen" not being used as a pronominal determiner. For example: "Der Herausgeber eines Buchs koordiniert und betreut dessen Veröffentlichung." Translation: The editor of a book coordinates and supervises its publication. And there is also a declension chart with demonstrative pronouns which includes dessen: verbformen.de/deklination/pronomen/der_dmo.htm#Steckbrief
    – Rare
    Apr 28, 2020 at 21:58
    That's true, but that's an entirely different context than above. Apr 28, 2020 at 22:06

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.