My question is about the cases in this sentence. Please tell me if I'm wrong.

Elke und Leo are Nominativ

sich is Dativ

das is Akkusativ

Without lassen the sentence would be:

Elke und Leo gefällt das jetzt nicht mehr.

These sentences have completely different meanings. – πάντα ῥεῖ Apr 13 at 10:24
    Ok. I don't care about the meaning. I care about the cases and the grammer. – Mario Bedoun Apr 13 at 10:27
    It might be helpful to notice that "sich etwas gefallen lassen" is a set phrase meaning "to tolerate something" or "to put up with something". "Elke und Leo lassen sich das jetzt nicht mehr gefallen" would translate to something like "Elke and Leo won't put up with that any more from now on". So it's probably not too useful to remove the "lassen", because it changes the meaning completely. – Henning Kockerbeck Apr 13 at 10:27
    It can mean that. You can also say "Noch lasse ich mir das Gefallen, aber wenn sich nicht bald was ändert, ist es damit vorbei." – infinitezero Apr 13 at 13:03
    @guidot In my experience, the not negated phrase is usually used very tounge-in-cheek. If you for example see a beer commercial and say "Ein Bier würde ich mir jetzt auch gefallen lassen", it means something along the lines of "I'd put up with a beer right now, too". So instead of saying "I'd sure like a beer" you say "If somebody forced a beer on me, I wouldn't put up that much of a struggle" ;) So this version is even more derived from the literal "gefallen" than the negated "sich etwas nicht gefallen lassen". – Henning Kockerbeck Apr 13 at 14:12

The phrase sich etwas gefallen lassen is a set phrase and means:

• to put up with something

Elke und Leo lassen sich das jetzt nicht mehr gefallen.
Elke and Leo can no longer put up with that.

The verb lassen is a very complicated verb. Pons lists 12 different ways to translate it into English. So, always have a closer look at the rest of the sentence when you find this verb.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.