Let's consider the below sentence

ich sag dir später Bescheid

Which means, I will let you know later, although the sentence looks like in Präsens. Therefore i expect to see Ich sage instead of Ich sag. An e is missed at the end of sag

So, can anybody explain me, if sag is used correctly or not?

Dear Downvoters, Please explain what is wrong with my question, so i can improve it. – Jimmy Apr 13 at 12:56
  • @SalmanLashkarara I would argue that "sagen" is properly used here because "sag" is a grammatically correct variant (mainly of colloquial speech). This might explain the downvotes. – amadeusamadeus Apr 13 at 20:17

In colloquial speech it is correct and common to omit the -e in the first person singular Präsens, even in written communication.

The tenses in German are not strictly organized temporally. The Futur is mostly used for announcement regarding the remote future and sounds somewhat portentous (besides it can be used to mark assumptions regarding the present, e.g. Er wird schon weg sein. – 'he might be gone'). For talking about the near future in everyday life, the Präsens is by far more common.

| improve this answer | |

German tenses are different from English tenses. German Gegenwart can describe things that happen now, in the present, but also in the past and you also can use it for events in the future. I wrote about it in detail in another answer.

And omitting trailing e's in Verbs and some other parts of speech is quite common in German.

| improve this answer | |

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.