I am looking for something a collection of audio samples suitable for comparing the various German accents.

(This wonderful collection of audio recordings by speakers of various Portuguese accents, all reading the exact same passage, is an example of what I'm after for German.)

PS: I'm aware of Deutsche Welle's Dialektatlas, which is very interesting in its own right, but I find it difficult to compare accents with it.

EDIT: I want to stress that I am looking for a comparison of accents, not of dialects. Notice that the example I cited, comparing Portuguese, all the speakers are reading the same text. This means that difference in word choice and word ordering has been eliminated from the comparison, by design. The premise of such a comparison is, of course, that, once one removes the difference in word choice and word ordering, some audible difference still remains. It is that residual difference that I am interested in. I cannot believe that this has not been studied at all, but I can find absolutely nothing about it. The primary reason, I think, is that studies and comparisons of German dialects completely overwhelm any list of search results.

• In my Google searches I tried various combinations of Akzent, Vergleich, and Hörbeispiele... I could use better keywords...
    – kjo
    Dec 23, 2012 at 19:15

1 Answer 1

How did you search at Google?

I tried it with http://www.google.de/search?q=mp3+dialekte+deutsche and found some hits.

Technical remark: Google forwards me alqays the the German version of Google. Perhaps thats a reason, why I get more results.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.