My professor asked us to formulate the phrase using this:

Ich - geben - zurück - sie (die Bücher) - Der Bibliothek

I wrote:

Ich gebe sie dem Bibliothek zurück

But he shows the answer as

Ich gebe sie der Bibliothek zurück

I don't understand why in this case, since I am returning something to the library, it shouldn't be in dativ case. Is it because of zurück? I am not entirely sure that the sentence makes sense to me.

• Bibliothek ist weiblich. Wörterbucheintrag mit Tabelle: de.wiktionary.org/wiki/Bibliothek – Carsten S Apr 16 at 7:44
    @BjörnFriedrich "The noun Bibliothek is female. Therefore, the genitive is der Bibliothek". Why "genitive"? This question deals with dative. – Nico Apr 16 at 8:00
    Following our policy, you should always describe what you tried to answer the question yourself including what you do or don't understand. In this case, if you would have looked up the Dativ of "Bibliothek", you would have found that Bibliothek is "feminin" and that the Dativ is indeed "der Bibliothek". – hajef Apr 16 at 8:31
  • @Nico, my mistake. I thought it was asked for Bücher der Bibliothek (the books from the library). – Björn Friedrich Apr 16 at 9:54
  • @BjörnFriedrich I only remarked it in order for the asker not to get confused. – Nico Apr 16 at 9:58

Your Answer is not wrong because of the case you used but because the library is a feminine word Die Bibliothek.

The dativ of Die Bibliothek is Der Bibliothek.

| improve this answer | |

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.