This week, I have seen a shop sign1 that basically ran as:

Am Montag, den 4. Mai 2020 sind wir in alter Frische wieder für Sie da.

I understand that “in alter Frische“ could mean “fully operational”, “fresh as ever” etc and would like to know how this interesting phrase came into being.

Source: (1) Paraphrased from Linguee

Interestingly, the Website redensarten-index.de does in this case not suggest an origin but resorts to a lazy "colloquial expression" pseudo explanation. So I would be curious too, if something like a source or a place of first occurrence can be found. – Christian Geiselmann Apr 20 at 8:18
  • I found it used in a letter from Erich Schmidt and Theodor Storm January 1883 here. – guidot Apr 20 at 8:44
    Further match in Jenaer Allgemeine Literatur-Zeitung from 1836 here. – guidot Apr 20 at 8:54

The meaning of the phrase is not idiomatic, i.e. it is semantically transparent: Frische means vigour and alt means former. Phrases of this kind can be formed ad hoc; they have no special genesis.

| improve this answer | |
  • Hm... yes and no. You are right that theoretically everybody can create this up ad hoc. But... would he? Still in alter Frische has an oxymoronic hue to it which makes it seem purposefully created, not accidentally. A less poetic and more everyday way to combine "vigour" and "former" would be: frisch wie am Morgen or something like that. – Christian Geiselmann Apr 20 at 12:43
  • it is fully idiomatic, as alt and frisch are basicly antonyms, to the point that I'm tempted to compare Lat. ult[ima], PIE *h2el- "to grow" to suggest reif "ripe" (short of mature) ... but have nothing to show for it (i.e. no comparative evidence I'm aware) – vectory Apr 23 at 5:15

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.