I thought in Anspruch nehmen meant to use, to make a claim on something someone is entitled to, etc. I.e. all physical actions. Can it also mean making a claim in the sense of behaupten, i.e. making an assertion?

Source

Aber sie nimmt für ihre Institution in Anspruch, dass sie größere Aufmerksamkeit genießt: „Früher waren wir ein Institut für Kenner; heute sind wir ein Institut, das man kennt.“

It seems the speaker is making an assertion that her institute now enjoys more attention. She is not laying a claim on anything she is entitled to. She is just making a statement.

Is this common use? Wouldn't behaupten be better used here?

The synonyms in Anspruch nehmen and beanspruchen can in fact be used figuratively, just like the literal translation of the latter, to claim. It is common.

They aren't perfect synonyms of behaupten, however, because behaupten is very neutral while in Anspruch nehmen can have a presumptuous undertone.

| improve this answer | |
  • "They aren't perfect synonyms of behaupten, however, because behaupten is very neutral while in Anspruch nehmen can have a presumptuous undertone." It's the other way around. When you say "X behauptet Y" it implies that you don't believe / aren't convinced that Y is true, i.e. you disagree with X. – Peter Apr 23 at 14:00
  • @Peter your Duden link says something different: behaupten means "mit Bestimmtheit aussprechen, überzeugt sagen" – irrespective of the opinion of the speaker. When you say "it's the other way round", do you mean in Anspruch nehmen was neutral? It's important to note that both expressions are used when the speaker neither wants to confirm nor to deny the validity of what was behauptet. – amadeusamadeus Apr 24 at 16:42
  • Yes, I mean "in Anspruch nehmen" is neutral and "behaupten" is not. "(noch Unbewiesenes) als sicher ausgeben" (assert something that has not yet been proven) isn't a neutral statement. It implies disbelief or at least doubt. – Peter Apr 25 at 13:49
  • @Peter There's an semicolon between mit Bestimmtheit aussprechen, überzeugt sagen and (noch Unbewiesenes) als sicher ausgeben, and noch Unbewiesenes is obviously bracketed because it is not obligatory that the Behauptete is unproved. On the contrary, the Duden article for Anspruch gives the example etwas für sich in Anspruch nehmen (etwas Bestimmtes von sich behaupten). Let the common denominator be that they're synonyms. Furthermore, the rule seems to apply here that there is no accounting for taste and linguistic instinct. – amadeusamadeus Apr 25 at 16:53

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.