Collins and Oxford say ebenda means ibid. Duden has an additional meaning: exactly.

None of these makes sense when you frequently see the use of ebenda next to dates, for example in this Wikipedia article:

Albrecht Theodor Andreas Graf von Bernstorff (* 6. März 1890 in Berlin; † vermutlich 23. oder 24. April 1945 ebenda)

So what does it actually mean?

You are misreading what Duden wrote. It's not

(genau) oder (gerade dort)

but

(genau oder gerade) dort

The meaning is indeed equal to Latin

ibidem: am selben Ort

A slightly outdated synonym for ebenda is

daselbst Duden DWDS

In the context you quoted, ebenda means that he died at the same place he was born, i.e. Berlin.

| improve this answer | |

Since you already tried two dictionaries, dict.cc actually provides an answer. As a native speaker, I never heard the word before, although I could guess from context, so I'd argue it's rather unusual in everyday language. However it appears to be used in scientific context or in earlier books, where saving space was essential.

Here it means

at the same place

| improve this answer | |
    I would not say that it is unusual as such, but reserved to certain contexts. de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebenda – Carsten S Apr 24 at 11:27
    It is even pretty usual - in the specific context of scientific papers written in German. There it is used to refer to an earlier citation. It is often abbreviated to ebd. – Christian Geiselmann Apr 24 at 11:51
    In printed reference works saving the space was essential; Brockhaus Konversationslexikon 1894-1896 alone has more than 6600 occurrences. – guidot Apr 24 at 12:55

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.