how do you say in German something like the expression "worker by day, superhero by night": is it:

• am Tag / bei Nacht
  • bei Tag / bei Nacht ?

Thank you

While @SwissCodeMen gave you some correct translations, in this context, I think your suggestions are already the best ones. It's idiomatic to say.

Arbeiter bei Tag, Superheld bei Nacht.

or this

Arbeiter am Tag[e], Superheld bei Nacht.

| improve this answer | |

Office worker by day and superhero by night

To translate this sentence/motto in german, it would look like this: ”Büroangestellte am Tag und Superhelden in der Nacht.” (-> related to work.)

But you can also say ”durch den Tag” instead of ”am Tag” for the translation by day. The same is also ”tagsüber”.

For by night you can also say ”durch die Nacht”, ”in der Nacht” or ”während der Nacht”. Another example is: They work at night, in german you can say: ”Sie arbeiten nachts” and this means the same like by night.

• So all variants are correct, and if I use any of these, the desired idiom would be understood. Vielen Dank! – Amc_rtty Apr 28 at 21:19
    Why do you use plural for the translation, when then original text uses singular? – infinitezero Apr 29 at 1:12
  • To show the questioner various possibilities ... – SwissCodeMen Apr 29 at 4:45
  • why do you extend something that should be the quote (office) and capslock it? I personally read capslock with a screaming voice. the > highlights it a bit (not as much as the yellow from old times) – Shegit Brahm Apr 29 at 6:46
  • The questioner used an excerpt from this sentence (which I wrote, now lowercase...). And because of that, I took the whole sentence to make it easier to understand ... – SwissCodeMen Apr 29 at 7:14

Meine Version: Tagsüber einfacher Arbeiter - nachts ein Superheld.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.