Could someone tell me the specific terminations used for declining the pronoun "andere"?

There's plenty of sites that display the terminations for the article variant of the word and none that shows how the pronoun variant is declined, which I find odd.

• What exactly is wrong with declension tables like this? – Arsak May 3 at 18:43
  • You can call me slow but where does it explain the declinations of the pronoun variant? – Rare May 4 at 13:22

I think there are two pronouns meaning 'andere/r/s': The plural form andere and the neuter anderes. The plural form always refers to people. Referring to things, the use of andere tends to be interpreted as an ellipsis [Ich kaufe diese Schuhe nicht, ich will andere (Schuhe).]

• nom. plur.: Manche halten Corona für gefährlich, andere tun dies nicht.

• akk. plur.: Ich möchte auch mal andere sehen als immer nur meine Nachbarn.

• dat. plur.: Mit anderen spreche ich nicht über diese Geschichte.

• gen. plur.: Die Meinung anderer interessiert mich nicht.

The neuter form is a more elevated way to say the same as etwas anderes:

• nom. neut.: Er blieb bei seiner Aussage, anderes war aus ihm nicht herauszubekommen.

• akk. neut.: Ich hatte ehrlich gesagt im Urlaub anderes erwartet als diesen Dauerregen.

• dat. neut.: Können wir nicht auch mal von anderem sprechen als immer nur von Corona?

• gen. neut.: ø (not possible)

The absence of the genitive neuter is the result of the fact that all possible terminations of ander- that one can find to mark a genitive [-(e)s; -(e)n; -(e)r] can be interpreted as nominatives or accusatives. They are not exclusive(ly?) genitive forms, hence they have to be ruled out.

As you see, the terminations are the same as the terminations of any attributive adjective placed without an article before a noun.

Even if you combine the pronoun andere/r/s with a determiner it is declined like an adjective:

• Seit seinem Krankenhausaufenthalt ist er ein völlig anderer.

• Erzähle bitte den anderen nichts davon.

• Alles andere besprechen wir später.

| improve this answer | |
  • Good answer, although I don't entirely agree with the reasoning for the absence of the genitive form. "-en" cannot be interpreted as a nomative form (dative plural, however). I supposed you're right that it does result in ambiguity with the plural declension, though. That is quite interesting! It might have something to do with the way adjectival endings originated in the first place (the developed rather recently, if I recall correctly, was still quite variable in the Mhd period: 143.50.35.73/wiki/index.php/Adjektive_im_Mittelhochdeutschen) – Ledda Apr 30 at 9:15
  • Of interest is that exactly the same difference in meaning is found with "alles" and "alle". – Ledda Apr 30 at 9:16

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.