I want to say "I am doing this because I like teaching others" and it's not quite clear to me if this should be:

"weil ich die andere zu lehren mag" oder

"weil mir gefällt, die andere zu lehren"

Both sound weird to me, sort of unnatural. Am I close to correct with any of the above?

"lehren" doesn't sound good in this sentence. A German wouldn't use it here.
    – äüö
    May 6, 2020 at 22:08
    Die anderen (!) is like the others. You mean just andere without article May 7, 2020 at 12:42

3 Answers 3

I am doing this because I like teaching others

In this sentence, "Unterrichten" makes more sense than "Lehren". The translation that fits to this sentence in german is like: "Ich mache das, weil ich gerne andere unterrichte".

But you can also say: "Ich mache das, weil ich es mag, andere zu unterrichten" or with gefällt, then it would sound like that: "Ich mache das, weil mir das Unterrichten gefällt".

• thank you very much! On a related note, if I wanted to say "to share from my experience" would then be appropriate to say "an anderen, aus meiner Erfahrung zu teilen" ?
    – Amc_rtty
    May 8, 2020 at 13:53
    I would rather say "Ich will meine Erfahrungen teilen". That means: "I want to share my experience" May 8, 2020 at 15:13

try a different one:

"weil ich gerne andere unterrichte"

but also sufficient without "andere"

... and also "Ich mag es (andere) zu unterrichten" May 6, 2020 at 21:13

The word lehren is a little bit bulky and as well as the word unterrichten rather used in terms of being an actual teacher than just for talking about teaching somebody how to do something.

So in German you would say e.g.

Ich lehre an einer Hochschule.

Ich unterrichte an einer Grundschule.

If you really want to use lehren as in your example, the right sentence would be something like

Ich mag es, andere etwas zu lehren.

Ich unterrichte gern.

In everyday speech you would rather say something like

Ich mag es, anderen etwas beizubringen.

Ich mag es, meinem Hund neue Tricks beizubringen.

Es macht mir Spaß, meiner Nichte das Schwimmen beizubringen.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.