I have come across this sentence:

Moorbauern fahren derzeit also besser, wenn sie ihren Boden trockenlegen, EU-Prämien abgreifen und offiziell wertvolle Flächen bewirtschaften. Wenn sie dem Klima schaden.

Is the bolded sentence incomplete, e.g. missing an ending 'so sei es' or something similar? If it's a complete sentence, then what kind of construction is this?

The simplest way to understand it is to imagine a comma instead of a full stop separating the two sentences. – David Vogt May 13 at 12:48

It's up to you if you think it's an error or an ellipsis. In both cases it's an incomplete sentence. Here is a version with a complete sentence:

Moorbauern fahren derzeit also besser, wenn sie ihren Boden trockenlegen, EU-Prämien abgreifen und offiziell wertvolle Flächen bewirtschaften. **Moorbauern fahren derzeit also besser, ** wenn sie dem Klima schaden.

An ellipsis is a stylistic feature, that exists - as I believe - in all languages. To construct an ellipsis you just omit a part of speech that easily can be reconstructed be the reader/listener.

An example of a very well know ellipses is:

• Good morning
    instead of "I wish you a good morning."
| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.