Is there any rule, when to change "ei" into "ie" in past tense sentences ?

I know, one must change it in verbs like : schreiben - schrieben, bleiben-blieben. But there are also words like begleiten - begleiteten and arbeiten - arbeiteten which preserve the "ei" form.

The pattern seems to be stress on ie, followed by a voiced sound (b,d,g, h followed by a vowel). But I'm only a native speaker and have never learned this :) (Zeigen seems to an exception, but that had a diphthong already in Old High German appearently...) Commented May 22, 2020 at 14:40
    I think this is about strong/weak verbs, and you cannot tell whether a verb is strong or weak just by looking at the infinitive. But same here, just some native speaker :)
    – Carsten S
    Commented May 22, 2020 at 15:05
  • Another interesting case is the verb "Unterscheiden" and the noun "Unterschied"
    – Lycia
    Commented Jan 22, 2023 at 19:04
  • @phpsgabler the rule does not work for heißen/hieß/geheißen.
    – RHa
    Commented Jan 22, 2023 at 19:25
  • @RHa /s/ /t/ /t:/ were different phonemes, s < t (eg. *hassen "to hate") might still fit a general rule that could require to distinguish different strata. E.g. Dussel's sibilant isn' t always devoiced.
    – vectory
    Commented Jan 23, 2023 at 12:30

1 Answer 1

This happens with class I strong verbs. But no, there is no simple rule, you have to memorize these verbs (and the other irregular verbs too).

• OK, thanks for the answer. Commented May 22, 2020 at 17:31
    I'll add the data based on which I made my guess above: speien - spie, schreien - schrie, schweigen - schwieg, zeihen - zieh, meiden - mied, but: zeigen - zeigte, leiden - litt, reiten - ritt. It's a mess. Commented May 23, 2020 at 11:33

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.