Is there any rule, when to change "ei" into "ie" in past tense sentences ?

I know, one must change it in verbs like : schreiben - schrieben, bleiben-blieben. But there are also words like begleiten - begleiteten and arbeiten - arbeiteten which preserve the "ei" form.

The pattern seems to be stress on ie, followed by a voiced sound (b,d,g, h followed by a vowel). But I'm only a native speaker and have never learned this :) (Zeigen seems to an exception, but that had a diphthong already in Old High German appearently...) – phipsgabler May 22 '20 at 14:40
    I think this is about strong/weak verbs, and you cannot tell whether a verb is strong or weak just by looking at the infinitive. But same here, just some native speaker :) – Carsten S May 22 '20 at 15:05

This happens with class I strong verbs. But no, there is no simple rule, you have to memorize these verbs (and the other irregular verbs too).

• OK, thanks for the answer. – John Ronald May 22 '20 at 17:31
    I'll add the data based on which I made my guess above: speihen - spie, schreien - schrie, schweigen - schwieg, zeihen - zieh, meiden - mied, but: zeigen - zeigte, leiden - litt, reiten - ritt. It's a mess. – phipsgabler May 23 '20 at 11:33

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.