Example:

Deutschland ist 357 375 km² groß.

Er/sie hat 16 Bundesländer.

So my question is, what is the correct pronoun to use in that context, is it "er" or "sie" ?

• to the reopen wish user: I see an accepted answer with upvotes, I see a duplicate nonetheless - why reopen? Where does it differ from the duplicate - the answer here is better/complete? – Shegit Brahm Jun 4 '20 at 14:20

If a country doesn't have an article, it's referred to as a neutral:

Deutschland ist 357 357km² groß.

Es hat 16 Bundesländer.

Otherwise it's referred to by the same gender as the article is:

Die Mongolei ist riesig, aber sie hat nur wenige Einwohner.

One special case: Die USA are always plural -> "Die USA kämpfen mit Covid-19, sie haben die weltweit meisten Fälle." – miep Jun 4 '20 at 7:08
    Wouldn't it be more accurate to say if the countries gender is neuter, instead of "does not have article"? We can say "das Deutschland, es hat 16 Bundesländer", "die Schweiz, sie hat 26 Kantone", "die USA, sie bestehen aus 50 Einzelstaaten". – jay.sf Jun 4 '20 at 7:47
    @miep Not quite that special: die Malediven, die Seychellen, etc. are always in plural too, and let's not forget die VAE. – Annatar Jun 4 '20 at 7:53
    @RHa I might argue with you there, since "das Deutschland der * Jahre" yields around 488,000,000 Google search results. – jay.sf Jun 4 '20 at 9:15
    You should probably mention that the first sentence is not complete. It should be something like "Deutschland ist 357 375 km^2 groß." – Roland Jun 4 '20 at 10:09

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.