Ebene, Niveau, and Aus­maß — all these three words could be translated to English as a Level.

When and which word should I choose when I have to use the word Level in German?

English examples:

• There is an agreement at the international level.
  • According to your level of competence...
  • The integration level between the EU members...

Could someone explain the application practice.

Have you tried to look them up in the opposite direction (German → English)? There you would find additional meanings. – amadeusamadeus Jun 7 at 16:38
  • @amadeusamadeus, yeap, I've checked at Pons, there one can see dozens of examples, I would like to see more common samples from a real-life. – Mike B. Jun 7 at 16:46
    @MikeB. And I would like to see your examples where you could use level in English, and maybe another term in English that would fit in that specific example much more "natural". So it would become possible to show the distinction between one and the other level. – Shegit Brahm Jun 8 at 5:37
    @ShegitBrahm, done, the question has been updated. – Mike B. Jun 8 at 6:10
    And what nobody has mentioned so far: you can just use Level in many cases. It's a common enough loanword with quite the same connotations as the Enlish usages for "extent", "degree", or sometimes "elevation". – phipsgabler Jun 8 at 6:38
  • Niveau can mean level (of knowledge, difficulty, wages), but also elevation, hence probably being the accurate translation in most cases
  • Ebene means mostly layer or (the) plains, rarely also floor in bigger buildings. However, level meaning floor should be rather translated Stock(werk)
  • Ausmaß usually means extent
| improve this answer | |
  • Thanks and what about «There is an agreement at the international level»? – Mike B. Jun 7 at 17:00
    @MikeB. in German there's a layer metaphor for such hierarchical levels, hence auf internationaler Ebene – amadeusamadeus Jun 7 at 17:04
    "at international level" is "auf internationaler Ebene", Niveau or Ausmaß don't fit. IMHO Ebene means Level in most cases, whereas Layer usually means Schicht. – RHa Jun 7 at 17:08

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.