Lernt zu zuhören
Lernt zuzuhören

Which version would correctly communicate the message "learn to listen!" given that zuhören is a separable verb? Or are they both false?

• Only the latter (zuzuhören) is correct. Sorry I can't give you a more well-founded answer. Jun 8, 2020 at 9:01
    Note that lernt zuhören is also possible.
    – David Vogt
    Jun 8, 2020 at 9:08

1 Answer 1

This is correct:

Lernt zuzuhören.

This is wrong:

Lernt zu zuhören.

The verb zuhören is a separable verb (correct: »Ich höre dir zu.« Wrong: »Ich zuhöre dir.«). And this means, that "zu" can not be used as a separate word, but must be squeezed between the prefix and the stem.

Another example (yes, it's constructed, but still valid):
The German verb "zupfen" means "to pluck" or "to pick". But you also could imagine to pluck on a tiny curtain of a doll house to close it. For that you could use the verb "zuzupfen" which maybe could be translated as "to pluck to close something" or maybe even "to close-pluck" (I know, that this is bad English, but in German this is possible):

Usage as normal infinitive (together with a modal verb):

Ich möchte den Vorhang zuzupfen.
I want to close-pluck the curtain.

But this verb is a separable verb:

Ich zupfe den Vorhang zu.
I close-pluck the curtain.
(word-by-word translation with German grammar: "I pluck the curtain close.")

And now you can use this separable verb in the construction "zu + Infinitiv":

Ich versuche den Vorhang zuzuzupfen.
I try to close-pluck the curtain.

The 1st "zu" in "zuzuzupfen" is the prefix of the separable verb that means "to close". The second "zu" is from the construction "zu + Infinitiv" and appears as "to" in the english translation, and the 3rd "zu" is part of the stem "zupfen" ("to pluck").

(Word-by-word translation with English words but German grammar: "I try the curtain close-to-pluck")

• Für „lernen, die Tür zuzuschließen“ wäre die Schriftform wohl lesbarer ausgefallen ;)
    – Wolf
    Jun 8, 2020 at 10:49
  • +1 for zuzuzupfen
    – miep
    Jun 8, 2020 at 12:38

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.