I know this sentence mean:

Everything is too much for me.

But my question is about the "das alles". It doesn't make sense since it means "the everything". Please explain me what's the reason for that.

• Actually a better translation of das alles would be all that and it can also be rearranged in German to All das as presented by @infinitezero. – guidot Jun 19 at 12:01

Here das is not an article but a demonstrative pronoun (Demonstrativpronomen). So the proper literal translation is

this/that all is getting too much for me

You can rephrase it, so it becomes more apparent

All das/dies wird mir zu viel

| improve this answer | |
  • The "alles" doesn't make sense here. It doesn't have the translation of "everything" here. Does it mean "entirely"? – Mario Bedoun Jun 19 at 21:19
  • What exactly is the difference between everything and all? – infinitezero Jun 20 at 0:03
  • Ok let me rephrase the original German sentence. Das wird mir "alles” zu viel. What is "alles" doing here? – Mario Bedoun Jun 20 at 19:59
    It has the same meaning as before. – infinitezero Jun 20 at 20:09

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.