Does the verb sitzen require haben or sein in the perfect?

In Standard German, haben is used as auxiliary verb. In some High German dialects and often in the High German language area in general, however, sein is used.

| improve this answer | |
  • Right, although in Austria "gesessen sein" isn't even considered dialectal, but Standard Austrian. – phipsgabler Jun 28 at 10:24
    @Same for South Germany, confirmed by grammar Pons, Die Deutsche Grammatik. – guidot Jun 28 at 19:43
    And in Bavaria, er hat gesessen invariably means he was in jail – Jan Jun 29 at 11:40
    @Jan I think that applies for all of southern Germany. I almost wrote an answer that "ist gesessen" is correct, because "hat gesessen" means jail to me. I'm Swabian. – miep Jun 29 at 14:13
  • I agree with this and referred to this fact by often in the High German language area in general. Of course Swabia, Bavaria, the rest of southern Germany and Austria belong to it. – amadeusamadeus Jun 29 at 18:02

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.