I am reading this Penguin parallel text book to try and improve my German and I came across this phrase

Das hatte sie sofort in eine kalte, hysterische Raserei getrieben, in ein verzweifeltes Klammern und Bäumen.

and I'm really not sure what this Klammern und Bäumen is all about...!

It is given that this means "a clinging, convulsive state", but translations seem to suggest it means "cling and trees" or "brackets and trees"? Is this a saying? I haven't been able to find it anywhere online.

Pretty expressive German. Torsten's answer is correct, as is Guntram's comment: The liberties the author took with the language makes the sentence demanding for the non-native reader. – Peter - Reinstate Monica Jun 28 at 23:43
    You may note that the two words are quite the opposite in meaning: One clings to a person and the other tries to break away. 'Aufbäumen' is used for horses that get up on their hind legs, either trying to get rid of the rider or to trample something. - Also: Klammern is quite normal but 'Bäumen' is an artistic liberty. Great text! – TaW Jun 29 at 7:06
  • I'd need more context for that sentence to make sense. Because those words don't go very well together in describing one person, like TaW indicated. – Arsenal Jun 29 at 15:17
    Well, the persone was in a hysterical rage, so imo they go together quite well, here. – TaW Jun 29 at 15:21
  • It would be helpful to know who the author is. – fdb Jun 30 at 11:35

You translatet „klammern“ correctly with cling.

But with „Bäumen“ you got the wrong meaning of that word.

You translated it as comming from the plural of „Baum“: die „Bäume“, and in dative „den Bäumen“.

But it is the nominalization of the verb (auf)bäumen meaning „rearing up“.

So she is rearing up and clinging...

| improve this answer | |
    Please not that "Klammern und Bäumen" is not what a German would generally use, "Festklammern und Aufbäumen" is what should have been used. I assume the author took some artistic liberties, by shortening words to convey the emotion of despair. The publisher should at least have given an explanation, because that's not what you'd expect a learner to be able to realize. – Guntram Blohm supports Monica Jun 28 at 20:43
    @GuntramBlohmsupportsMonica, my gut feeling is much more comfortable with klammern instead of festklammern than with bäumen instead of aufbäumen. – o.m. Jun 29 at 5:46
    I personally agree that "Klammern und Bäumen" is not "everyday use". But for me this shortening conveys the desparate feelings much better than the longer forms "Festklammern und Aufbäumen"... – Torsten Link Jun 29 at 6:19
  • I would even doubt the choice of word here. "aufbäumen" is always rearing up against something. So clinging would weaken that word here and the sentence makes less sense. – Pascal Jun 29 at 9:16

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.