I have heard the following dialogue in the TV series Dark:

• Da, wo ich herkomme, haben du und ich die gleiche Vergangenheit.
  • Du hast sie doch nicht mehr alle.

What does "sie nicht mehr alle haben" mean in this sentence? "to be crazy" ?

The word order is

sie nicht mehr alle haben.

And the meaning is, as you mention, to be crazy. It might be a short or related form of

nicht mehr alle Tassen im Schrank haben (and many more variations of similar structure).

| improve this answer | |
  • Thanks for the answer! FYI I have fixed the word order in the question. – Alan Evangelista Jul 1 at 21:10

As you have already recognized, "Do you still have them all?" (Hast du sie noch alle?) is an idiom (are you crazy?) and therefore it does not really have any meaning. I would see "Do you still have all cups in the cupboard?" (Hast du noch alle Tassen im Schrank?) as origin, which would then refer to the cups, which in turn represent the thoughts of the person addressed, in the sense of "Do you still have all your thoughts together?" (Hast du deine Gedanken noch alle beisammen?)

| improve this answer | |
    There seem to be several expression this could be derived from: nicht alle Tassen im Schrank haben, nicht alle auf der Latte haben, nicht alle Nadeln auf der Tanne haben, but without context I think the actual meaning is somewhat ambiguous since it might actually mean "You don't have all of them," in a different scenario. Maybe the best translation in this case is simply "You've lost it!" – RDBury Jul 2 at 10:43

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.