I thought I know about changing in adjective forms depending on Nouns. However, I started to get confused again

"Meinst du, Ich kann mein Portemonnaie kriegen?"

Here, what is the difference between "mein" and "meines" I thought it has to be meines here, because there is no ein or das in front of Noun..

So, what I am curious of is, when do we use mein + neuter nouns in sentences?

• Technically the question above is about masculine posessions, but it works the same for neutral ones (only females are different). – infinitezero Jul 6 '20 at 14:33
  • I do not see why this is supposed to be a duplicate. The current question is about neuter gender and accusative case. The alleged duplicate was about masculine gender and nominative case, and in addition it was based on an erroneous reference. – Björn Friedrich Jul 6 '20 at 17:46

Notice that mein is not an adjective but a posessive pronoun, namely of the first person singular.

The inflection of the posessive pronoun basically depends on whether it is used attributively (before a noun) or not.

Meinst du, ich kann mein Portemonnaie kriegen?

Here, mein is apparently used attributively, as it precedes the neuter noun Portemonnaie. It is in accusative case.

For completenes, the following table lists the inflections for the neuter gender and for each case (N: nominative, G: genitive, D: dative, A: accusative), when used attributively versus when used non-attributively. The bolded item is the one used in the example sentence.

Attributively – non-attributively (neuter gender)

• N: mein – meines
  • G: meines – meines
  • D: meinem – meinem
  • A: mein – meines

A similar example with non-attributive usage of mein is:

Unsere Portemonnaies wurden geklaut. Meinst du, ich kann meines wiederkriegen?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.