In the following sentence :

Und eine ganz besondere Sache möchte ich euch noch zeigen, dass sind die Pink Ladies, die kaufen die Deutschen ganz besonders gerne, das ist eine Apfelsorte und davon kaufen wir jetzt 4 Stück, weil die nämlich besonders süß und knackig sind.

I want to know why did we use davon in this context.

In my knowledge, we only use davon when there is a verb that goes with it like for example träumen von, I also know that the verb kaufen used in the sentence does not require a preposition.

I thank you in advance for your attention.

4 Answers 4

There are verbs with prepositional objects. You mentioned träumen von:

(Sie träumt von einem Urlaub am Meer.)
Sie träumt davon, am Meer Urlaub zu machen.
Davon träume ich auch.

However, there are also adjectives that go with prepositions.

Die Heizkosten sind abhängig von der Größe der Wohnung.
Die Heizkosten sind abhängig davon, wie groß die Wohnung ist.

In this case, the adjective abhängig is derived from a verb and the preposition is inherited from that verb, i.e. abhängen von. But there are many cases of adjectives with prepositions where the adjective is not derived from a verb: frei von, nett zu, neidisch auf, zuständig für, etc.

Note that von in particular is also used to give the agent in a passive clause, which yields another source for davon.

Das schlechte Wetter hat uns überrascht.
Wir wurden vom schlechten Wetter überrascht.
Wir wurden davon überrascht, wie schlecht das Wetter war.

Moving on to your particular case, von or a genitive are used with nouns (or, more generally, nominal phrases).

Ich habe zu viel Suppe gekocht und einen Teil der Suppe eingefroren.
Ich habe zu viel Suppe gekocht und einen Teil davon eingefroren.

Note that the preposition and the noun it goes with can be split.

Ich habe zu viel Suppe gekocht. Davon habe ich dann einen Teil eingefroren.

This is what happens in your example.

(Diese Apfelsorte kaufen die Deutschen gerne.)
Davon kaufen wir jetzt vier Stück.
Wir kaufen jetzt vier Stück davon.
Wir kaufen jetzt vier Stück von dieser Sorte.

So your assumption – we only use davon when there is a verb that goes with it – is wrong. Von and davon also go with nouns and certain adjectives, as well as being used in the passive voice. There are also other uses I have not mentioned. Be aware of the possibilty of von and davon being moved away from the word they belong to.

• Best explaination IMO. Additionaly, we here have the difficulty that the object is semantically very close to a partitive construction: cf. wir kaufen zwei Liter vom Rotwein. Like we can say, gib mir noch von den Äpfeln!. Aug 2, 2020 at 13:16

Okay let’s free that original sentence from some ballast.

At its core, it’s quite simple:

Wir kaufen vier Äpfel.

As Carsten notes, the apples are then described as being of the variety Pink Lady.

Wir kaufen vier Äpfel von der Sorte Pink Lady.

Then we have a previous sentence that describes the buying habits of Germans.

Die Deutschen kaufen die Apfelsorte Pink Lady sehr gerne. Wir kaufen vier Äpfel von der Sorte Pink Lady.

That’s an ugly repetition. So the second reference to the variety gets shorted to “of that” (davon), and we avoid a repeat of apple by referring to the apples as “items”.

Die Deutschen kaufen die Apfelsorte Pink Lady sehr gerne. Wir kaufen davon vier Stück.

You are right that there should be a von somewhere, and it is:

Von dieser Apfelsorte kaufen wir vier Stück.

We will buy four of that kind.

• Thank you ! this is really helpful but from your answer I can understand that we do not necessarily need a verb + preposition combination for adverbs such as davon or does the verb kaufen actually go with the preposition von ?
    – Ahmed
    Aug 1, 2020 at 23:13
    As you can see in the answer, kaufen can be used with von. That's sufficient for using davon - von does not have to be necessary for that.
    – RHa
    Aug 2, 2020 at 7:52

I do not really understand why the answers are so complex. "Von" ist in many cases the equivalent of "of" and "davon" is pretty much "of that". So "davon kaufen wir 4 Stück" simply means "we are buying 4 pieces of that". Hope that simplifies the problem ;)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.