Often in shops/bakeries/etc within NRW, Germany, a common way of asking Is that everything? is to ask Das war's? as a question. (Das war's comes across as if it is pronounced as Das was, though this question suggests that das war's is what is in fact said.)

In my experience as a German learner, I often reply with Das ist alles. but I've never seen another German speaker answer in this way. I often observe that when no additional items are required, the question Das war's? is often typically answered with Das war's..

Am I correct in my observation? What is the standard answer when there are more items to be added to the purchase?

I think in form of a question it's more usual to say War's das?. – πάντα ῥεῖ Aug 3 at 21:57
    @πάνταῥεῖ Both user1626485 in german.stackexchange.com/questions/18475/was-bedeutet-das-was and I observe Das war's? not War's das? as the typical phrasing. – Jacob Horbulyk Aug 3 at 21:59
  • Well, that depends on context: If it's you're asked at the supermarket's check-out, or you ask yourself the project lead after he had told you, you're no longer a team member, all makes a difference. – πάντα ῥεῖ Aug 3 at 22:15
    @πάνταῥεῖ: I thought "Das war's." at a supermarket check-out was called "Warentrenner". – O. R. Mapper Aug 4 at 7:32
  • @O.R.Mapper :-D At least not as a question. – πάντα ῥεῖ Aug 4 at 10:24

I'm a native German speaker and I often answer

Das wär' alles

which is short for das wäre alles (that would be everything [I want to buy]). This also works for similar questions ("Darf's noch etwas sein?")

But there are no laws on how to answer this question, so you may choose any of the following or come up with a different one of your own

Ja, danke
(Ja,) das war's
Ja, das ist/war/wär'/wäre alles.

if you are not done, you can just continue with your purchases

Seller: Das war's?
Purchaser: Nein, ich hätte gerne noch XYZ

| improve this answer | |
    Note that you usually omit the apostrophe: "wär" – xehpuk Aug 4 at 16:14
    Incidentally, I think the question tends to be “das wär's” too or “wär das alles”, not “das war's”. – leftaroundabout Aug 5 at 8:55

I do not often hear the question "Das war's?", but usually "Noch einen Wunsch?" or "Haben Sie noch einen Wunsch?". Perhaps there are regional differences in language use. In my opinion "Das war's?" is less polite, but maybe I am out-dated in that respect.

Anyway, you can answer

1. Ja, danke.

2. Ja.

3. Ja, danke, das war's.

4. Danke, das war's.

5. Ja, das war's.

6. Das war's.

The polite versions are those with "danke", but as I said, I do not think the question itself is a good example for polite communication. Therefore also the other variants should be okay.

If you decide for 6. you must of course take care of proper intonation (as in English):

Das war's ↗︎ ? (rising intonation)

Das war's ↘︎ . (falling intonation)

"I do not often hear the question "Das war's?"" I'd even consider this a little bit unkind or unfriendly. Not the appropriate behavior to talk with customers. – πάντα ῥεῖ Aug 4 at 17:27
    @πάνταῥεῖ Ja - hat eine unangenehme Ähnlichkeit mit "War's das jetzt endlich?" – Paul Frost Aug 4 at 18:58
  • Occansionally I hear Das war's? being made more in the more polite form of Das war's für Sie? – Jacob Horbulyk Aug 5 at 14:54

While infinitezero's answer sums it up quite nicely I want to expand on the subtleties as the comments are full of variations and nuances regarding "wär(s)" vs. "war(s)" and rudeness. That aspect is highly influenced by the region and dialect. In general "wär" is a bit nicer and less direct than "war" just like the English "want" vs "would like". Is that all you wantin comparison to Is that all you would like is the direct english equivalent. "Das war's" can sound quite easily like a statement and has to be pronounced quite precisely to come across as a normal question without further implications. "Das wär's" is more thoughtful and probably safer.

Now in regard to the region: the south of German is generally more polite and also more inclined towards "ä/ö"-sounds. So while a harshly spoken "Das war's?" probably would not get you a strange look in Berlin, it probably would in a village in the south.

I would personally refrain from answering "Das war's?" with "Das war's!" because it sounds a little weird like I am imitating the asker. My usual replies are "Ja", "Ja, das war's" or really just a nod. Other replies I use depending on the context are "Für heute, ja", "Erstmal, ja" and "Ich denke schon" (I think so).

• YMMV: to me the question "Das war's?" is sloppy enough to not invest much sympathy into my answer either (I don't feel insulted either). How about being schlagfertig and answering with "erstmal ja" or "sagten Sie grad Star Wars?" – AmigoJack Aug 17 at 2:16

If someone asks you

Das war's?

The most common answer is

Ja, danke.

I think its comparable to English... if someone asks you if you want anything else and you don't, you also thank them for asking and serving you.

As per my observations (stated in the question), the most common answer to Das war's? is Das war's. which is listed as a possible answer in infintezero's answer. I'm not sure that I agree with either the logic or the conclusion of this answer. – Jacob Horbulyk Aug 4 at 11:50
    for example: you place you order with the waitress, after youre done he/she asks "das wars?" and you really answer "das wars"? I highly recommend to say "Ja, danke" 100% of the time. – Jana Aug 4 at 12:13

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.