In a Goehthe Zertifikat letter example, it is said:

Wann fängt die Party an? Sagen Sie mir noch Bescheid?

I believe that both questions have the same meaning in this regard, why is the second question asked? What is the difference between both questions?

The sentences have totally different meanigs. The first asks for the time a party begins, the second urges someone to inform someone else. – Björn Friedrich Aug 20 '20 at 4:54
    @BjörnFriedrich why "...to inform someone else"? I would think, to confirm the first question: "Let me know when the party starts" (Bescheid über den Party beginn geben). – SwissCodeMen Aug 20 '20 at 5:50
    @BjörnFriedrich Bescheid geben = to inform so. But why jemand anderes (someone else). "Sagen Sie mir noch Bescheid" means inform ME and not "to inform someone else." Or do I not understand your comment? – SwissCodeMen Aug 20 '20 at 6:24
    I understand your points but I still think both questions ask for the same bit of information which is : when does the party start ? , and the second question should be dropped as it constitutes a repetition unless by the second question they ask for a reminder of when is the party going to take place, but i'm not all convinced by it. – Ahmed Aug 20 '20 at 7:19
    @Ahmed, your analysis is correct. Still this hasn't to do with the meanings of the sentences. Furthermore, such a redundancy is nothing special about the german language. It is, if at all, a matter of culture or style. – Björn Friedrich Aug 20 '20 at 7:26

This two sentences have not the same meaning!

The first question asks, "when does the party start?" and in the second question, the questioning one wants, that the questioned person gives notice, when the party starts ("let me know when the party starts").

In an english conversation it would look like:

"When does the party start? Will you let me know?"

But you can just use the first question without the second:

"When does the party start?"

I think a better translation for Sagen Sie mir noch Bescheid? is Will you let me know?. Noch here refers to the future. – RHa Aug 20 '20 at 6:48
  • You are right @RHa, I took it over like that. – SwissCodeMen Aug 20 '20 at 7:46

The two sentences have quite different meanings:

Wann fängt die Party an?

This sentence quite plainly asks when the party starts.

Sagen Sie mir noch Bescheid?

This sentence, however, modifies the above question - it indicates the asker does not necessarily need to know right away. Especially due to the "noch", this sentence means "Will you inform me in time (before the party starts)?"

This means the asker will accept if they do not get a definitive time right away, but what they want right away is at least a confirmation that they will be informed about the starting time in time, by the person being asked.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.