If I simply write:

Am Freitag und Samstag habe ich Zeit.

Is it sufficient to express that I'm free the entire day on both days?

If it does not express that, is the following phrase gramatically correct?

Am Freitag und Samstag habe ich die ganzen Tagen Zeit.

• "is the following phrase gramatically correct ?" No, it's far from being grammatically correct. And yes, the 1st phrase is correct and sufficient. – πάντα ῥεῖ Aug 24 at 23:01
    @πάνταῥεῖ "it's far from being grammatically correct"? I wouldn't say so. It's just den ganzen Tag instead of die ganzen Tagen. – Olafant Aug 25 at 0:26
  • I think it's a question of emphasis. You could say Am Freitag und Samstag bin ich frei. -- "I'm free on Friday and Saturday." This would more or less imply that you're free at least most of the time. If you wanted to stress that you'll available the entire time on both days then go with Am Freitag und Samstag habe ich den ganzen Tag frei. The English and German seem parallel here, even on the question of using the plural on Tag/Day, so I kinda think you're overthinking this one. – RDBury Aug 25 at 7:07
    @Olafant What makes it "far from correct", is that building the plural (which seems to be the OPs misconception and is comprehensible) as die ganzen Tagen is also wrong. Correct plural (and is also applicable) would be die ganzen Tage. Thus it should be: Am Freitag und Samstag habe ich die ganzen Tage Zeit. Feel free to mention that in your (otherwise good) answer. – πάντα ῥεῖ Aug 25 at 11:07

What you want to say is that you have time the whole day on both of the days. So the whole day refers to one day instead of all of the days.

Am Freitag habe ich den ganzen Tag Zeit und am Samstag habe ich den ganzen Tag Zeit.

can be shortened to

Am Freitag und [am] Samstag habe ich [jeweils] den ganzen Tag Zeit.

and you can skip the jeweils since it's clear what you mean.

Am Freitag und Samstag habe ich den ganzen Tag Zeit.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.