How to playfully call someone a workaholic in german?

I found many definitions of the equivalent german translation, so I am quite confused which one best suits to this situation. Also, some examples with applications of the translation would help a lot.

Which translations did you find? Also please tell us, what you want to express, when you call someone a workaholic. – infinitezero Sep 5 '20 at 18:06
  • I want to be playfull and express that the person works too much and should have a break – Victor Verga Sep 5 '20 at 18:09
    (inf) Arbeitswütige(r) mf, Arbeitssüchtige(r) mf, Arbeitstier nt – Victor Verga Sep 5 '20 at 18:09
    dwds.de/wb/Workaholic – Carsten S Sep 5 '20 at 18:10
  • @VictorVerga: please include your clarification into your question. Thanks. – Shegit Brahm Sep 7 '20 at 9:24

The German word for workaholic is Workaholic. We use this English word as a foreign word in German context.

Other synonyms are used less frequently:

• Arbeitstier = working animal
    The main meaning of this word is an animal (horse, elephant, etc.) that is used for work. But there also is this figurative meaning: Person who works too much. The word Arbeitstier (all meanings together) is used about half as frequent as Workaholic.
  • Arbeitsmensch = working human
    This word is rare (and so are the next ones). Workaholic is used about 40 to 50 times more often than Arbeitsmensch
  • Arbeitssüchtiger = person who is addicted to work
    If a psychologist diagnoses that someone works too much, and they wants to use a German name for this condition, then they would use the word Arbeitssüchtiger. So, in some sense, this is the "official" German word for Workaholic, but it is used about half as often than Arbeitsmensch, which means, that Workaholic is used about 100 times more often than Arbeitsmensch.
  • Workaholiker = a Germanized version of Workaholic
    While Workaholic is for 100% a foreign word (English spelling except uppercase W and English pronunciation as far as you can expect English pronunciation from a German native speaker) Workaholiker is a loan word and a portmanteau word, blended from the English work and the German Alkoholiker (= alcoholic, alcohol addict). But from my list, this is the rarest. The foreign word Workaholic is used about 100 to 150 times more often than the loan word Workaholiker

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.