I want to know what (if there are any) are the rules for identifying the syllables and their borders in a word based only on its spelling and not its pronunciation or IPA. I know syllable is a phonetic feature and not a orthographic one, but since German language has a high correspondence between the two, are there a set of rules to identify the syllable and its border in a word based on the spelling of the word alone.

1 Answer 1

There are multiple rules to identify syllable border(s) in a word based on spelling.
Note that you need to know german prefix and suffix.

For every Word

• A Syllable will always contain a vowel (a,e,i,o,u)

For one syllable Words

• I think this depends on the sound of the word, but in a sense you can assume that if none of the rules below apply, it could be a one syllable word

Words with more than one syllable

• A single vowel never gets seperated from the Word. Fisch-e would be wrong
  • "tz" and "st" always indicate a border. put-zen
  • "ch", "sch", "ck", "eu", "ei", "ai", "äu" always stay together. ba-cken
  • "ß" transforms to ss and will result in a border between. grüs-sen
  • Two consonants result in a border. Af-fe
  • A prefix indicates a border. ver-laufen
  • If a suffix starts with a vowel, the border happens in front of the previous consonant. Zei-tung (-ung being the suffix)

Words made of multiple words (e.g. Hausaufgaben)

• A new word indicates a border. Haus-aufgaben-heft
  • Borders in subwords are found like its an individual word. Haus-auf-ga-ben-heft

I took them from https://praxistipps.focus.de/silbentrennung-regeln-und-funktionsweise-einfach-erklaert_99467 and translated them too english.

Note that this will find NOT every border in every word as some words require the sound of the word to find syllable

• ß does not transform – either it stays as it is, e.g. grü-ßen, or it is ss from the beginning (in Switzerland), but I don’t know how the Swiss hyphenate it. Sep 22, 2020 at 16:54

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.