This perhaps is more appropriate for the English language stackexchange, but it's a question about a particular translation. Pardon my ignorance of the language.

In a translation of a "The Concept of the Political", the translator notes the following:

"Since Schmitt identified himself with the epoch of the national sovereign state with its jus publicum Europaeum, he used the term Feind in the enemy and not the foe sense."

It was my understanding that foe and enemy were synonymous! But these seem to be considered two separate translations (eg, when using Google Translate, it gives both foe and enemy as possible translations, and different words as synonyms depending on the interpretation).

What is the difference between the two possible translations of the word "Feind"?

You mentioned it yourself already: This is not a question about the German language at all. That's why I vote to close, because it requires knowledge of the English language rather than of the German language. Your question is simply: "What is the difference between enemy and foe?" – jonathan.scholbach Sep 17 '20 at 23:47
    To most native English speakers, there is no difference (I do not recognize one). Yet Feind appears to have two meanings, translated as those two words. This is the contradiction I don't know how to resolve. So it seems clearest to ask: what does Feind mean? – jonathan quimby Sep 18 '20 at 0:01
    Maybe you should provide some more context. Maybe someone with more knowledge of Carl Schmitt could understand what the translator meant. – jonathan.scholbach Sep 18 '20 at 0:27
    This exact question has already been asked on ell.stackexchange – infinitezero Sep 18 '20 at 1:33
    Welcome to German.SE. As you write yourself in the comment that your real question is about any nuance of Feind - maybe dwds.de/wb/Feind is of help? Or just rewrite your question and note down the nuances when to use foe and when to use enemy? – Shegit Brahm Sep 18 '20 at 6:34