What is "Stotterlaut"? Is this term used in the phonetics? If so, what sound exactly does it indicate? I guess that it might belong to one of the plosive or affricate sounds from the context, but I couldn't find any definition or enough reference. Thanks!

Where did you encounter that word? A source would be nice. – David Vogt Sep 27 at 7:40
  • It was used in the context that unlike Phoenician there were no "Zischlaut, Knacklaut and Stotterlaut" in Ancient Greek. – kore Sep 27 at 18:26

Stotterlaut itself is the sound you make when you stutter (literally stutter noise). This article mentions

Nun ist d nicht nur Verschluß-, Dental-Laut, sondern wie die Erfahrung ergibt, bei häufiger Wiederholung geradezu ein Stotterlaut

My translation:

Now d is not only a plosive and dental sound, but as experience shows downright a stutter sound, when frequently repeated

This is illustrated with some examples, among which is the following

Die, die die Didaktik Diderots zum Gegenstand ihrer Studien machten [...]

The beginning of the sentence, which causes you to say /di/ 4 times, sounds like a stuttering person trying to say Didaktik.

| improve this answer | |
  • Thank you for the detailed answer! Still I wonder whether "Stotterlaut" is a phonetical term or not.. As far as I can understand from the passage you mentions, the word Stotterlaut is used in its literal meaning, stutter noise as you explained, whereas for the other two, Verschluß-Laut and Dental-Laut, I could easily follow that they are Plosivlaut and Zahnlaut in the phonetical terms... – kore Oct 2 at 9:59

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.