der Löwe hat im Nominativ Singular keine Endung, sonst immer die Endung -n oder -en.

I don‘t understand why the singular nominative form of der Löwe has -n ending in König der Löwen. I would understand if it was actually die Löwen and it is in Genitiv form ==> der Löwen.

Can anyone please explain me why it is König der Löwen and not König der Löwe? Thanks :)

It actually is genitive plural, "king of the lions" or "König der Löwen". – Henning Kockerbeck Oct 6 at 18:34
  • But it is known in English as „The Lion King“, is it translated differently in German? – Yousif H Oct 6 at 18:36
    If I remember the story correctly, you could probably call Mustafa (and later Simba) both, "the lion's king" or "king of the lions" as well as "the lion king" (the king of all animals, who happens to be a lion). So both variants are fitting. "Der König der Löwen" probably has a better ring to it, and there's a different animated series called Simba, der Löwenkönig. Maybe the creators of the German version of the Disney movies wouldn't take chances colliding with that. But that's mostly speculation. – Henning Kockerbeck Oct 6 at 18:51
    For future reference, the German titles of books, movies, etc. are often wildly different from their English counterparts. For example the German title of "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" is "Zwei glorreiche Halunken". The change from "The Lion King" to "König der Löwen" is relatively minor in comparison. – RDBury Oct 6 at 23:39
  • @HenningKockerbeck, I think you meant "the lions' king" (not lion's). – Carsten S Oct 8 at 12:35

You analyzed it correctly. The part "der Löwen" is in genitive case. It is a genitive attribute of the noun "König". A genitive attribute contains the information to whom the referred noun belongs. Here it says, that the King belongs to the lions.

The English translation is

Der König der Löwen
The king of the lions

The original english title of this movie is "the lion king". The German translation is:

The lion king
Der Löwenkönig

But this exact translation sounds boring in German. The other version sound a little bit more exciting.

The version you suggested doesn't make any sense:

Der König der Löwe
The king the lion

It is just a list of two nouns that are not connected to each other.

| improve this answer | |
    I think Der König der Löwe was a miscarried attempt to form the Genitive Singular. This would be Der König des Löwen. – jonathan.scholbach Oct 6 at 20:38
  • "Der König, der Löwe" or "Der Löwe, der König" would be possible-ish translations that are near to what I guess was meant by the idea "König der Löwe" in the question. Both don't work as movie titles of course. – HalvarF Oct 7 at 12:35

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.